CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sunshine and Carnations


The sun! The sun! Finally, after days of near-freezing rain, the sun came out today and brightened everything with golden, warming rays. After over-doing it at work yesterday I took another sick day and spent the day at home resting, taking more of my medicine, filling up on hot soup and hot tea and diet Dr. Pepper, coughing and blowing my nose about 100 more times. It feels like I've rounded a corner and have very nearly kicked this cold! The sunshine coming through the windows definitely helped.

While enthroned in Frank's recliner today I did take time to go through all the scribbles and sticky notes in my 2008 calendar and worked on the 2009 calendar. January is a month filled with birthdays in our family. My sweet sister-in-law, Phyllis, and my dear aunt, Esther Maude, share a birthday on the 4th. My wonderful Scottish mother-in-law, Nan, and darling great-nephew, Deacon, share a birthday on the 12th (this year Deacon turns one!) My own birthday is on the 24th (we won't say how many years I'm turning) and the birthdays of many close friends and extended family members are sprinkled throughout the rest of the month. And it is looking more like our precious first grandbaby, Liam, will make his appearance before January comes to a close. In many places the month of January is cold and snow white. That's why I'm glad our fiery red birthstone (garnet) and our beautiful, fragrant January flower (the carnation) are symbols of how warm we January babies can be. I'm also excited to find a flowering tea by the Shanghai Tea Company called Green Tea and Carnation (Wanzi Qianhong - Blaze of colour, means flourishing) Even the description is special - "Fidelity, deep love. A soothing and calming herb that blossoms to reveal a sunset hue, smooth in flavour with hints of sweet carnation flowers. Dianthus, the carnation's botanical name, means divine flower." Can't wait to try it!!

"The carnation was one of the first flowers considered rare and valuable and so was sometimes associated with pride. It was also considered a floral symbol of constancy because its color never fades and so symbolizes bravery, love, and friendship."
[www.suite101.com - Birth Flower for January]


When I get my digital camera back (remember I left it in Arkansas during my last trip there) I'll be posting some pictures of the carnation-themed vintage postcards, as well as carnation embellished teacups and saucers in my collection. In the meantime here are some images of those bright and beautiful posies worth sharing - enjoy!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just visited your blog - it is very nice! Iwill be back!!