CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 12, 2009

Make new friends and keep the old...


...One is silver and the other gold. That little song from Brownie Scout years is one I'll always remember. Recently it's been playing through my head again. The New Friends in my world are some wonderful ladies I've "met" since starting this blog. Through their lovely sites they open their homes and shops, share thoughts, inspire with their creative talent, comment and chat about common interests. Bernideen, Eli, Brenda are just a few. Each time I visit there is something new to discover among their beautiful photos and graphics. And reading their posts is sort of like perusing a friendly letter, with the image captions as postscripts! A bonus to these new acquaintances is the excitement that comes when I follow the links from one blog to another, "meeting" even MORE kindred spirits. For someone who basically only has time for two social outlets - work and church - making new friends through blogging is such a fun-filled blessing! Hopefully I can be a blessing to them in some way.

As for the Old Friends, most started out as co-workers. Working at the same office for 32 years has held a lot of opportunity to develop some deep, long-standing friendships - Debbie, Mary O, Sue, Trudie, are just some who come to mind right away. Our lives have gone different directions as our families have grown and our life circumstances have changed, but if something important happens (be it a joy or a sorrow) I can call on any of these ladies and know they will be there - and I try to be sure they know they can count on me. We have laughed together, cried together, prayed together, and just shared some really great times. Hopefully there will always be more great times to come!

Other "old" friends are some I've had since childhood. That list is pretty small because in my group I'm pretty much the only one who hasn't ever moved from the area where we grew up! Still, even though many miles and very busy lives divide us, all it takes is one phone call or get-together and we just seem to pick up where we left off the last time - I think the Two Susans will always be at the top of the list. Our individual life paths are so different now, but we shared so many experiences and pivotal moments in our growing up years that the bond forged then has only grown stronger as we've gotten older. In a world where things change so rapidly it's nice to know that true Old Friends never change where it counts - the heart - and so the memories will remain intact as well.

So here's raising a cup of Friendship Tea to those New and Old - and if I'm really fortunate, perhaps some of the former may eventually become the latter! Blessings to you all...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about friendships Sharon. I'm a baby boomer too and still have some of the friends I went to junior school with is lovely. We share such a lot. How excited you must be feeling, only 6 days to Frank's return (at least that is what I read on your little ticking clock I hope its correct. You won't be blogging for a while I'm sure but will have plenty to tell us when you return. Have a lovely reunion. Eli

Elizabeth said...

Sharon, I just found your blog and so glad I did.I also remember"one is silver and the other gold"
I am new to blogging and am really enjoying it.Elizabeth (SimplePleasures)