In this economy it is a time for "waste not, want not" but who ever thought one little tea bag could serve three purposes in a day? This morning I was down to the last few drops of milk - definitely not enough for a full glass of my usual Carnation Instant Breakfast. Deciding to have a quick serving of tea and toast and wanting to be sure to get enough caffeine down to stay fully awake during church and errands afterward, I chose a favorite black tea blend Prince of Wales because it is strong but light. Out came my English Abbey transferware teacup and saucer, and so began the first of one teabag's three lives.
In a rush (I don't do mornings well!) I finished off the tea and toast and left everything on the glasstop cutting board to scurry off and get a shower. Looking in the bathroom mirror I noticed one eyelid was swollen and an angry red - drat! Eyeshadow is something I usually no longer fool with but yesterday evening Matthew and I attended an engagement party for a young couple with whom he's been friends for years (he is to be their Best Man) and, although it wasn't a real dressy affair, I did want to make up a little more than my usual work face so whisked on and blended in a pretty good amount of shadow. Obviously it either gave me a skin allergy or maybe it was just old and had some bacteria in it (yuk!) - either way my eyelid was looking like Rocky Balboa's after a fight! I ran back to the kitchen and threw the used teabag into the freezer, went back and took my shower and - yep, you guessed it - the little teabag's second life was to be a cooling, eye poultice! Following my shower I stretched back in the recliner with the teabag on my eyelid for about 15 minutes. Afterward it did feel less sore and alot of the redness was gone - yea, little teabag!!
(this isn't me, but you get the idea)
Finally, this afternoon the Project of the Day was to finish the fleur-de-lis art piece I've been working on since Mardi Gras (better late than never.) I'd seen something similar on Art.com for a hefty price and thought "I can do that!" Weeks ago the perfect frame was found at a half-price sale and some art paper in black and cream cost just a little over a dollar a sheet. I'd drawn the fleur-de-lis and cut it out of the black art paper that very day, then set the supplies aside to look for something to use as a filler for the fleur-de-lis image. This past week the problem was solved - in the hall closet was some wallpaper bought several years back and never used - a neutral tone with an overlay of french handwriting - perfect! Today it was time to put everything together. The only problem was that the wallpaper appeared too light, too pristine for the look I was going for. Ah ha! The little teabag was going to come to the rescue for a third and final time. I grabbed it from where I'd left it on a coaster beside the recliner (I know; I was going to throw it away eventually!) Now dry and shriveled up, that was nothing a little water couldn't fix. Moistening the teabag I dabbed and rubbed at the wallpaper until it was tea-stained just enough for the right effect. Voila! The teabag is now in the trash - gone but not forgotten. :) Here is the legacy it left behind...
Three cheers for the three lives of one mighty little teabag!
Sunday, March 15, 2009
Three lives of a tea bag...
Posted by Sharon at 7:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
thanks for extra hints and I have washed my eyes with teabag and tea and now I will remember to have a cold one too-
also if you save the tea bags and dry out- then in spring you can cut up and toss into the garden or planters for extra something- I forget- what-
I did this last year- if you have a compost bin then you do not need to cut up but a tea bag looks funny in the garden unless chopped into it--LOL- I use all sorts of teas to the mix- mama used to give her roses left over tea- hugs from Meme
I'd heard using coffee grounds to feed flowers but never even thought about using tea - what a great idea! With the amount of tea I drink my flowers should be very happy - LOL. Thank you so much Meme for that hint! Hugs, Sharon
PS - My "Mimi" grew the most beautiful roses - maybe tea was her secret!
Post a Comment